JCSO Hiring Process
This is a general outline of the process the Jerome County Sheriff's Office uses in evaluating potential new employees:
Preliminary Applications Review
Once we have received your application and other required materials, they are thoroughly reviewed by administration. All submitted applications are reviewed for consideration.
Physical Agility Test and Written Pre-Employment Examination
Those applying for positions that require a physical agility test and/or written examination will be notified via phone, mail, or email. The physical agility test consists of five events and is only required for commissioned deputy positions. More details below.
Those who pass these tests will proceed with the hiring process and an interview will be arranged. Those who do not pass will receive notification via phone, mail, or email and will not proceed with the hiring process.
Oral Interview Board
This interview, which typically lasts 30-45 minutes, gives us a chance to meet the person behind the application and to better familiarize you with the steps being taken to fill a particular position. One to three people conduct interviews for every position. The same interview questions are asked of all applicants for that same position.
After oral interviews are completed, applicants are again graded. The oral interview score and written examination score are combined into an aggregate score. The aggregate scores are then ranked.
Depending on the circumstances, top candidate(s) are sent a Conditional Offer of Employment (Note: this is NOT a final job offer). Candidates who are not selected are also notified of the final outcome of the application process.
Conditional Offer of Employment
Applicants receiving a conditional offer must complete a Personal History Statement and agree to undergo a series of evaluations, including (in sequential order):
- Criminal Records Check, where we review the applicant's criminal history.
- Psychological Evaluation (Deputy positions only), performed by an examiner used by the Jerome County Sheriff's Office.
- Medical Examination (Deputy positions only). If this is required, you will receive a form which must be filled out a doctor and submitted to the Jerome County Sheriff's Office Human Resources. Medical exams are done at a physician office determined by the Jerome County Human Resource's Department.
Once these steps have been completed, the Human Resources Manager, Sheriff, Captain, and Lieutenant give their recommendations as to who should be hired.
Working for the Jerome County Sheriff’s Office means more than just accepting a job. You're becoming part of a rich tradition of excellence and a community of people working to make a difference.
You can become a patrol deputy, detective, detention deputy, records clerk, or choose from a variety of other administrative positions. There are also numerous opportunities for career advancement, and professional growth and development.
The Jerome County Sheriff's Office will disqualify any candidates whose background includes the following:
- Have used marijuana within the last year. This includes usage in states and countries where marijuana has been legalized.
- Have used any other drug (methamphetamine, heroin, cocaine, mushrooms, etc.) within the last three years.
- Have ever sold, transported, or manufactured illegal drugs and/or associated with anyone who has been involved with these activities.
- Any adult felony convictions.
- Any misdemeanor conviction for crimes involving domestic battery or violence, child abuse, stalking, or "peeping Tom"
- Any criminal probation must already have been served.
- Have regular contact with those who use illegal drugs, are incarcerated, or on probation and/or parole.
- Have been convicted of Driving Under the Influence (DUI) within the last three years.
- Have had a driver's license suspension within the last three years relating to a DUI, chemical test refusal, or points assessed due to moving traffic violations (if driving is an essential function of the job).
- Any dishonorable discharge from any U.S. military force.
- Any discharge from any military force other than honorable will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
- Misstating, omitting, or deliberately lying about anything during any stage of the hiring process.
Federal Employment Law
The Jerome County Sheriff’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability, and any other legally protected status.
For more info on Federal Employment laws click here.
Anyone interested in employment with the Jerome County Sheriff must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a citizen of the United States.
- Must be a graduate from an accredited high school or hold a GED.
- Must be able to meet minimum vision and hearing standards.
- Be free of any physical, emotional, or mental conditions which might adversely affect performance of a Deputy Sheriff as determined by a medical and psychological exam.
- Must pass a physical agility test.
- No past criminal history and no convictions of DUI or suspended driver's license within the five years prior to the date of application.
- Must possess a valid driver's license and have no more than four (4) moving violations in the three (3) years preceding the application.
- Must be of good moral character as determined by a background investigation. The background investigation will include a polygraph examination.
Physical Agility Test
The physical agility test consists of:
- Vertical Jump
- 1 minute sit ups
- Push ups: A minimum of 21 (no time limit but continuous)
- 300 meter run
- 1.5 mile run or walk
Employee Benefits represents a very important component of the total compensation package offered by Jerome County.
Jerome County offers a very generous, competitive, and comprehensive benefit package designed to provide regular full-time employees and their families with a wide range of benefit options.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Plans with low deductibles
- Flexible Spending Accounts
Paid Time Off
- 11 paid holidays
- Paid Time Off (Sliding scale)
- Fixed monthly income
- PERSI (Vested after 5 years)
- Optional 401(k), Roth IRA, and deferred compensation 457(b)
- Basic life, accidental death
- Voluntary supplemental insurance programs for you and your dependents at an additional fee
Feel free to contact us at:
2151 S Tiger Drive
Jerome, Idaho 83338